In the spring of 2008, the idea of forming an Oratory in Cincinnati was born. It was during Tenebrae on Good Friday 2008 at Old St. Mary’s Church that the group truly felt the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to pursue this holy endeavor. Having received help from the Archdiocese of Cincinnati and the Procura in Rome, as well as various Oratories from around the world, we received much information and assistance on how to proceed. Fr. Jon-Paul and Fr. Adrian continued on in their own respective formation programs. In the summer of 2010, the Oratory Delegate, Fr. Mario Avilés C.O., visited Cincinnati to assist with the establishment of a Community-in-Formation. This visit resulted in decrees from the Archbishop of Cincinnati, Most Rev. Dennis M. Schnurr, and the previous Procurator General of the Congregation, the Most Rev. Edoardo Cerrato C.O. in 2011. These decrees allowed the Community to proceed to the Formative Stage with the title Community-in-Formation of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri in Cincinnati. The Archbishop blessed and gave to the Community its new habits on March 24th, 2012. With the support of the Archbishop of Cincinnati, the Congregation of the Oratory, and our family and friends, the Community was able to come together officially and begin working towards Canonical Establishment as a house of Pontifical Right. We are guided by our delegate, the Very Rev. Mario Avilés C.O. (the current Procurator General), and the Constitutions of the Congregation of the Oratory. We are also inspired the ancient Constitutions of the Congregation (1565 and 1612) as well as the Excellencies of the Oratory. The Holy Father established the Cincinnati Oratory on March 19, 2017.
Currently, Fr. Jon-Paul, ordained a priest in 2012, serves as the Provost of the Community. Fr. Jon-Paul is the Pastor of Old St. Mary’s Church and Sacred Heart Church. Fr. Adrian was ordained to the priesthood in 2015 and serves as the Vicar and Master of Ceremonies of the community, as well as Parochial Vicar of Old St. Mary’s and Sacred Heart, and priest chaplain at Christ Hospital and the Hamilton County Justice Center. Fr. Henry joined the community in 2016 and was ordained a priest in 2021. He currently serves as Parochial Vicar of Old St. Mary’s and Sacred Heart.
The main apostolate of the Community is the building up of a Catholic Culture in Over-the-Rhine and metropolitan Cincinnati, as the means of promoting holiness and sanctity. The Community accomplishes this through parish work and chaplaincies in hospitals and the county justice center. Old St. Mary’s Church is the Oratory Church and main base of activity. The Community also has care of Sacred Heart Church in Camp Washington.